Now we are old

Saturday, September 11, 2004

Substitute First Posting

Lost the first post. Have to do more direction reading for this web log thing. So....... my purpose in doing this is to have some fun and enthusiasm. Spark my mind, get moving. Work on the book I will never write on How to be Old. Exercise my co-dependency, indulge my self-indulgence. Encourage you to do the same.

The FLY (finally loving yourself) Lady thing: After over a year, I'm still at the beginning and taking baby steps, but it does make a structure to my time. And I am a perfect SHE, (sidetracked home executive). So I wear my shoes, I keep my sink shining (when it is not being used by Don for a farm sink) and keep things put away. I get rid of much of my stuff, give it away a little at a time and I don't buy any more, forget the garage sales. I can do anything for 15 minutes at a time. I have a morning and evening routine that gets my exercise done and my face washed, pills taken, dishes put away. I don't feel guilty for taking time for myself.

I find it interesting to be old and to discover what that means. I intend to grow at old and enjoy more than I despair. If you know any good ideas, share them with me. Going to lunch with "the ladies who lunch," three times a week, I can note their aging process. Some of them have been going to this "lunch site for seniors" for 21 years. The lady who has come the longest sits at the head of the table. I didn't used to like old people very much, but am finding these women interesting and full of wisdom. They have already done this, "how to be old."

I'm remembering that my old Grandfather Malan used to chew his milk. I am remembering this while I am rather chewing my Swiss mocha. Ah yes. And I think of my Grandmother Malan, whom I never properly appreciated even though she took care of me every summer for at least five years, up there in Ogden Canyon, my favorite place. She wasn't exactly joyful. And I now realize that she was depressed. Good heavens, she lost her daughter Myrtle to whopping cough when she was four, and then her lovely son Ralph to a basketball injury at church, when he was seventeen. She was most kind to me. And I must remember that it was she and Grandpa who gave me the baby buggy and bank balance and two cars and all the houses plus other requests, satisfied for me and my family.

I remember a lovely moment one Christmas season when I came upon them (from the grocery store) both standing on my little front porch leaning into the window singing a Christmas carol to my family.

This web log stuff will be all right.....when I remember that this blog is not precious and I can write anything I want to. A send out, with love, to my world.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home