Now we are old

Saturday, October 29, 2005

October 27, 2005

Cold outside, 30 degrees this morning. I brought in Laura Ruth (the plant) and the other plants and picked the green tomatoes that were left and all the roses (put them all in one vase, beautiful each time I glance at them), even went to Dorothy McGaha to cut some of her gorgeous dahlias before they froze. House is blooming, we might say.

Don's hand is much better, looking at it at least. The skin is peeling from the swelling, the tears are black crooked lines almost scabs. If it were mine, I'd bind it up to keep it from being bumped. He admits that it hurts a bit and is very tender.

Blaze is here and acting so much more free and relaxed than before. Julie, the golden retriever rescuer has found a foster home for Lucy, who is not eating, but that home has a second dog, so it is no solution. Lucy is everything Don could want in a dog. We even considered having Blaze put down since he has to be on so many drugs to keep from seizures, but couldn't do it. An experiment. We meant to give Blaze a friend to play with and it went wrong. I'll be happy to hear that Lucy has found a good home. Soon, I hope.

Couldn't find my glasses. They were used just before I went to bed but gone somehow now. With these dark glasses, I see the dark side.

Sun shines. Frost is on the grass and pumpkin too. We're content and lazy.

Ms. Meirs has withdrawn her name from nomination to the supreme court so there won't be any more "cleaning lady" jokes.

I'm totally sore from digging a little hole in the hill to plant the plant I bought thinking it was myrtle. If it gets warm enough, I'll plant it today after I use my axe to cut away the big roots in my hole. I'm collecting rocks to cover the hill as we did in Asheville for $1,000. which we no longer have to spend on rocks.

Susan and Julie are looking at change. Mary reaches out for lifelines, any line at all. Sharon reminds us that Mary must solve her problems, carry through, that she needs to rescue herself. Susan agrees but notes Mary's illness and single parenthood. Chuck planned to visit but his car needs repair. He'll come in the spring.

Me, I'll shower. And maybe make a pile of dish cloths to take to gift shops in Asheville. Put on my brave and secure face and just go.

Don turns the heat up. I turn it down.

I'll eventually write notes about my father for my siblings. He was not a loving father (didn't act one) to Dart and me but seems to have changed for Michael, Kim, Kandi and Huck.

Nicholas sent a thank you note for the post card of Simi which I finally sent to him. He was lovely and thankful for gifts shared in our relationship. Sweet.

So much to do.

Lists and lists and I make a tiny effort and move a tiny amount of work.

I'm well from my cold, grateful for blessings, feeling better as a human. Love to the world.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home